Email updates

Keep up to date with the latest news and content from Arthritis Research & Therapy and BioMed Central.

Open Access Highly Accessed Research article

Smoking in combination with antibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides is associated with persistently high levels of survivin in early rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective cohort study

Björn Svensson1, Ingiäld Hafström2, Malin C Erlandsson3, Kristina Forslind14 and Maria I Bokarewa3*

Author Affiliations

1 Section of Rheumatology, Institute of Clinical Sciences, University Hospital, 22185 Lund, Sweden

2 Department of Rheumatology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, 14159 Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden

3 Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, University of Gothenburg, 40530 Gothenburg, Sweden

4 Section of Rheumatology, Helsingborg Hospital, 25437 Helsingborg, Sweden

For all author emails, please log on.

Arthritis Research & Therapy 2014, 16:R12  doi:10.1186/ar4438

Published: 16 January 2014

Abstract

Introduction

High levels of the oncoprotein survivin may be detected in the majority of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Survivin is a sensitive predictor of joint damage and persistent disease activity. Survivin-positive patients are often poor responders to antirheumatic and biological treatment. The aim of this study was to investigate the reproducibility of survivin status and its significance for clinical and immunological assessment of RA patients.

Methods

Survivin levels were measured in 339 patients from the Better Anti-Rheumatic FarmacOTherapy (BARFOT) cohort of early RA at baseline and after 24 months. The association of survivin status with joint damage (total Sharp-van der Heijde score), disease activity (Disease Activity Score based on evaluation of 28 joints (DAS28)), functional disability (Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ)), and pain perception (Visual Analogue Scale (VAS)) was calculated in the groups positive and negative for survivin on both occasions, and for the positive-negative and negative-positive groups.

Results

In 268 patients (79%) the levels of survivin were similar at baseline and after 24 months, 15% converted from survivin-positive to survivin-negative, and 5% from survivin-negative to survivin-positive. A combination of smoking and antibodies against cyclic citrullinated peptides (aCCP) predicted persistently (baseline and 24 months) high levels of survivin (odds ratio 4.36 (95% CI: 2.64 to 7.20), P < 0.001), positive predictive value 0.66 and specificity 0.83). The independent nature of survivin and aCCP was demonstrated by statistical and laboratory analysis. Survivin positivity on both test occasions was associated with the progression of joint damage, significantly higher DAS28 and lower rate of remission at 24 and 60 months compared to negative-negative patients. Survivin status was less associated with changes in HAQ and VAS.

Conclusions

Survivin is a relevant and reproducible marker of severe RA. Persistently high levels of survivin were associated with smoking and the presence of aCCP and/or RF antibodies and predicted persistent disease activity and joint damage.