Search information pages
6. Are any taxes included in this charge?
No taxes are included in this charge. Authors resident in any European Union country have to add Value-Added Tax (VAT, currently 20%). Institutions paying the fee on behalf of the author can in most cases have the VAT refunded, or by providing Arthritis Research & Therapy with their VAT registration number*, avoid paying VAT altogether.
- Why do BioMed Central journals have article-processing charges?
- What do the article-processing charges pay for?
- How much is Arthritis Research & Therapy charging?
- Does BioMed Central offer discounts on article-processing charges?
- How do BioMed Central's charges compare with other publishers?
- Are any taxes included in this charge?
- To which articles will this charge apply?
- Why a flat charge rather than one based on page numbers?
- Who is responsible for making the payment?
- Which funding agencies explicitly allow direct use of their grants to cover article-processing charges?
- How do I pay?
- Can charges be waived if the author cannot pay?
- Will I have to pay if my institution is a Member?
- Will the APC rate I am given at submission change?
- Do authors from low-income countries have to pay APCs?