Search information pages
11. How do I pay?
The submitting author needs to arrange payment of the article-processing charge unless a waiver has been granted, or your institution has covered the cost through a membership scheme.
The submitting author must confirm, at the time of submission, that they will organize payment should the article be accepted for publication.
Following peer review, once a manuscript has received editorial acceptance in principle, the article-processing charge becomes payable and formatting checks on the manuscript will commence. Once formatting checks are completed, and payment of the article-processing charge has been received, the article will be published.
Payment can be made by any of the following methods:
- Credit card payment can be made online using a secure payment form as soon as the manuscript has been accepted in principle.
- Invoice payment is due within 30 days of the manuscript receiving editorial acceptance in principle.
Prompt payment is advised as the article will not be published until payment is received. Payment other than by credit card carries an administrative surcharge of £50. When paying online with a credit card, a receipt will be sent by email once payment has been processed. Receipts upon payment of an invoice are available on request.
- Why do BioMed Central journals have article-processing charges?
- What do the article-processing charges pay for?
- How much is Arthritis Research & Therapy charging?
- Does BioMed Central offer discounts on article-processing charges?
- How do BioMed Central's charges compare with other publishers?
- Are any taxes included in this charge?
- To which articles will this charge apply?
- Why a flat charge rather than one based on page numbers?
- Who is responsible for making the payment?
- Which funding agencies explicitly allow direct use of their grants to cover article-processing charges?
- How do I pay?
- Can charges be waived if the author cannot pay?
- Will I have to pay if my institution is a Member?
- Will the APC rate I am given at submission change?
- Do authors from low-income countries have to pay APCs?